Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 1996 13:39:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Mark O'Lear" <Mark.Olear@colorado.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmake 3.74 port setgid kmem

> Does anyone know if the gmake 3.74 port (in ports-current) is
> supposed to leave gmake with setgid kmem?  The gmake package
> in packages-current does this as well.

Yes, it's supposed do.

> If this is standard behavior for gmake, why does it
> need to be (and why kmem)?  If it needs to be, why does
> regular make work just fine without it?

One of the 'features' of gmake is the ability to 'stop compiling' until
the load average of the machine goes down to an acceptable level, so it
needs permissions to read /dev/mem to determine the load average.

I consider it's setgid-ness along with the 'load average' bit to be a
mis-feature.

Nate