Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 12:40:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      grafe@lab12.ie.pitt.edu (Gary Rafe)
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble with PAO3-19991220 for 3.3R with aic0 ?

I should add that my  kernel config is also used to drive
a parallel port Zip drive:

	controller scbus0
	device     da0
	device     vpo0	at ppbus?

that seems quite stable under 3.3R/PAO3-19991007.
My comments below are based on observations with the PAO3-19991220
patches, both for the kernel & pccardc/pccardd.

!You also need
!
!	device	scbus0
!
!for the SCSI bus. Why that would prevent it from finding the kernel I don't
!know, but if you send your whole kernel config file we might spot something
!else askew.
!
!Is your old (working) kernel built from the same set of source files?
!
!> Finding an updated PAO3 for 3.3-R that claims to support
!> the APA-1460 SlimSCSI card, I pulled it down & tried it out
!> on my Toshiba 4030CDT running 3.3-R/PAO3-19991007.
!>
!> The kernel seemed to build fine with the additions:
!>
!>         controller aic0
!>         device     pass0
!>
!> And when the kernel was started, it reported:
!>
!>         Initializing PC-card drivers: aic ep sio wdc
!>
!> as expected, but ... just after the kernel correctly
!> changed the root device:
!>
!>         Changing root device to wd0s3a
!>
!> It then tried to change the root device again:
!>
!>         Changing root device to wd0a
!>
!> which resulted in: error 22: panic: cannot mount root (2)
!>
!> and a subsequent automatic reboot ...
!>
!> Ouch !  What gives here ?
!> Booting my previous PAO3 kernel gets me back,
!> but still no SlimSCSI card.
!>
!> Is this something I did (or didn't do) ?
!>
!> BTW, I'm hoping to use this card to talk to a SCSI scanner
!> via "sane" -- can anyone comment on the prospects of making
!> this work ?