Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 10:37:42 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "james orme" <jaorme@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Script Help

On Thu, 09 Dec 1999 17:29:14 PST, "james orme" wrote:

> Hi I need to write a script that executes the kill command from least severe
> to most severe on a selected file.

There are two points of confusion here.  The first is the issue of
severity, which depends very much on how the recpient of any given
signal chooses to deal with it (SIGKILL being the only real exception).

The second is what you mean by "executing the kill command ... on a
selected file".  I'll interpret that as "send a signal to any process
with the specified name, using the kill command".

So choose your order of severity and do something like this:

#!/bin/sh

progname="myprog"
siglist="1 15 2 6 9"

for i in ${siglist}; do
	if killall -$i ${progname}; then
		echo signal $i delivered to ${progname}
	else
		exit 1
	fi
	sleep 1
done

This is very silly stuff, though.  There are all sorts of problems
involved here.  It'd be much better if you explained what the problem
was so that we could offer you a specific solution. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.