Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 17:56:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yest one more: devel/crosssco

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Simon Shapiro wrote:

> I can accept this reality as ``this is what it is'', but not the
> ``acusation'' that my system is broken.

That's not supported by the facts, Simon.  I can easily make the
building of a port break.  Great example in point is gimp.  Take the
normal gimp port and install it.  After it is installed, make
gimp-devel.  The building of gimp-devel will notice parts of the other
gimp on your system, and misconfigure things.  When you get gimp-devel
installed, it will not work at all (core dumps or missing features).

It's not the port that's broken here, it's your test environment.  If
your being stubborn and saying that all ports should totally ignore
their environment, well, this is not now and never has been true, but if
you won't acknowldege it, I guess your next paragraph (regrettably)
makes sense.

For everyone else, ports _do_ work, within limitations.

> I will not report any more of these breakages to these lists.  Instead, I
> will download the binaries from ftp.freebsd.org and mark them, in our
> release notes as ``binary only.  Not reproducable''.
>
> Thanx for all the help.
>
> Simon

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |