Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2017 10:04:38 +0000
From:      Carmel NY <carmel_ny@outlook.com>
To:        'FreeBSD' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: CUDA under FreeBSD

--=-=lO46kCFZ6rJRAP=-=

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 2:53 AM, Shane Ambler stated:
> On 04/12/2017 21:19, galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu wrote:
> > On Mon, December 4, 2017 4:24 am, Carmel NY wrote:
> >> Out of morbid curiosity, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the
> >> real reason that Nvidia does not support CUDA under
> >
> > Arrogance would be my guess.
>=20
> The morbid part is that they give us the linux libcuda, so we should be a=
ble to
> run linux binaries that use cuda, just not native apps.
>=20
> >> FreeBSD? Also, what are the realistic expectations for it getting
> >> supported shortly?
> >
> > Zero is my estimate. The way to let one's steam about them is just not
> > to buy ther hardware. Their attitude to open sourse and unwillingness
> > to disclose details of their hardware was always much worse than that
> > of their competitors (ATI/AMD, matrox...).
> >
> > This is just my opinion based on my subjective observations.

Personally, I have always considered Nvidia products to be superior.

> I'm sure on an episode of bsdnow, they mentioned asking an nvidia dev at
> one of the conferences and they said there shouldn't be any technical
> reason, it just isn't enabled in the build and they would look into it.
> Still hasn't helped any.

Interesting. I was not aware of that. It would seem to me that there should=
 be more of an=20
concerted effort to get this issue resolved.

--=20
Carmel

--=-=lO46kCFZ6rJRAP=-=

--=-=lO46kCFZ6rJRAP=-=--