Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:56:28 -0400
From:      "J. Altman" <freebsd-announce@chthonic.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Grip

Greetings...

I believe this is the best list to start; please feel free to point me
elsewhere if elsewhere is better.

First, my environment:

FreeBSD whisperer.chthonixia.net 8.0-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p2
#0: Wed Mar 17 22:12:19 EDT 2010
root@whisperer.chthonixia.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WHISPERER  amd64

This is a new install of 8. I am running Grip under Xfce.

It looks like the Makefile for Grip was updated recently:

# $FreeBSD: ports/audio/grip/Makefile,v 1.88 2010/02/05 11:34:13
  dinoex Exp $

Also, Grip is at version 3.3.1 on Sourceforge, and at version 3.2 in
the ports tree. I have no clue if a version bump in the ports is
indicated; or if a new port, grip-devel, is even close to a good idea.

I use a Grip config file set that worked on my last PC; and it was an
multi-core Intel box, and the Makefile I used for that pre-dates the
current one by about one year. I've tried using whatever defaults the
new installation of Grip offers; no joy there.

The failure:

Grip will rip a WAV file using cdparanoia, which is the default ripper
for Grip. The WAV is not damaged, AFAICT; it plays fine in XMMS.

Sometime after Grip finishes ripping the WAV file, Grip either:

1) immediately crashes and dumps core

OR

2) starts to encode the WAV file to FLAC (or MP3, using LAME) and then
   crashes and dumps core.

I suspect 1, since no FLAC file appears in the relevant directory.

Grip is not tripping over ID3 tags, since "only tag files ending in
.mp3" is checked in the ID3 configuration tab.

Grip uses this:

/usr/local/bin/flac -V -o %m %w

FLAC works from the command line on the WAV files; so I believe it is
not a FLAC issue.

I've searched quite a bit, and can't find any clue regarding the
issue; is it Grip? is it some deficiency in what Grip needs vis-a-vis
Gnome 2? Is it something lacking and relevant to the AMD platform?
Maybe it's simply that Grip is no longer maintained? There is a fork
of Grip called MP3Mesa: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp3mesa/ so
maybe that is what is needed.

Questions:

Is anyone here using Grip, on any platform, but especially AMD64?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement? I've not seen
one in the ports tree that has exactly what I want; RipperX is close.

Any clues appreciated.

I'm not subscribed to multimedia; please Cc: me if possible. Thanks,
and best regards.