Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:41:13 -0600
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dns bind question

>I am attempting to host out of my home. I have now a static address
>and I can access my site via the ip address. My problem comes in
>when I want to direct my domain name to my ip address.

run your own DNS as primary master NS for your hosting service.

>My particular registrar actually wants a "name server" address
>to register rather than an IP address.

a "registered host" is technically that host's A record, entered into the
TLD's nameservers.  eg, in the ?.gTLD-servers.net:

ns1.skytrackercanada.com.  A ip.ad.re.ss

Once that host is registered in the .com parents, you can delegate
authority to it.  The A record is referred to as "glue record".

>I understand that the name server
>keeps track of my IP address. I would like to use my one box to be all
>of;
>
>name server: ns1.skytrackercanada.com
>host for   : www.skytrackercanada.com
>virtual host for: www.someoneelse.com
>
>I just don't understand why this
>is a two step process; Why can't my domain name just be mapped
>_directly_ to my IP address?

It can be and is, via the domain name service:

some.domain.com  A ip.ad.re.ss

>Why does the name server have to get in between?

Because the DNS __IS__ the database the provides the domain-name-to-ip
mapping service.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND for NT4 & W2K