Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 14:20:59 -0400
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   smbfs: kernel/library version mismatch after make world

I just cvsuped to 4.3-STABLE (from 4.2-STABLE) and did make
buildworld, make buildkernel, make installkernel, and make
installworld.  During the buildkernel, I realized I wanted to make
some changes to my kernel config file; so I did, then aborted and
started over the buildkernel.  No errors.

The biggest change was the addition of these lines for SMBFS:

# SMB/CIFS requester
options 	NETSMB			#SMB/CIFS requester
options 	NETSMBCRYPTO		#encrypted password support for SMB
options 	LIBMCHAIN		#mbuf management library
options 	LIBICONV # Kernel side iconv library
options		SMBFS			#SMB/CIFS filesystem

After a mergemaster and a final reboot, I tried as root:

mount -t smbfs //winserver/c /mnt

I got this in response (originally one line):

smbfs: smb_lib_init: kernel module version(103006) don't match
library(102001).

I then tried manually kldloading smbfs.ko, but things went down hill
from there; details if they'll help, but I doubt it or I'd have put
them here. :-)

I believe I had tried using smbfs once on this machine in its pre-MFC
days; but that's been months now.  I don't even remember if it was a
port then or a direct attempt at installing from the source.

Suggestions?

Please CC me so I don't lose the reply in the list mailbox. :)

--
Doug Lee           dgl@visi.com        http://www.visi.com/~dgl
Bartimaeus Group   doug@bartsite.com   http://www.bartsite.com