Date:      Sun, 31 May 1998 10:03:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object

> >It also means that one "ports" CDROM will work for FreeBSD 3.x and
> >FreeBSD 235.x.
>
> How can you make this claim? The individual ports may well rely on some feature
> of FreeBSD 235.x that was not present in FreeBSD 3.x. Similarly, a port
> for 3.x may rely on a feature that was removed before 5.0.
>
> As much as we might like to think otherwise, assumptions about the structure
> of the underlying OS and "hardcoded" into the source of the program. :-(

The point is to make a port for FreeBSD 3.x work on FreeBSD 235.x, not
the reverse.  In other words, "compile once, run anywhere".

The binary compatability from FreeBSD 3.x to FreeBSD 235.x is a
problem for the XANDF processor during the install.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.