Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 18:52:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        m_evmenkin@yahoo.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NEWCARD, devd, sio and PCCARD_FUNCTION_SERIAL cards

In message: <20021222014249.29623.qmail@web40310.mail.yahoo.com>
            Maksim Yevmenkin <m_evmenkin@yahoo.com> writes:
: Dear Warner and Hackers,
:
: --- "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
: > In message: <20021221222756.11203.qmail@web40310.mail.yahoo.com>
: >             Maksim Yevmenkin <m_evmenkin@yahoo.com> writes:
: > : Dear Warner and Hackers,
: > :
: > : Is there any way (on -current with NEWCARD) "devd" can
: > : prevent "sio" driver from attaching to *ANY* pc-card
: > : that has PCCARD_FUNCTION_SERIAL?
: >
: > Sure.  Just have sio_pccard_match return -100.  I've just committed
: > the change to do this.  No need to do anything else, I think.
:
: Nope :( It does not work. I applied patch to /sys/dev/sio/sio_pccard.c
: and recompile my kernel with NEWCARD. It seems devd pays no attention
: when i plug or unplug the 3COM card. I have attached dmesg output and
: my devd.conf file. I was trying to get devd to kldload ng_bt3c module,
: but it did not work. Am i missing something obvious here?

Yes.  You need to have ng_bt3c loaded before you insert the card.
That's because of three reasons:

1) We don't detach a device when it 'won' the bidding on the device
   with a bid < 0 when a new driver is loaded.
2) There device is known, so devctl doesn't report anything to devd
   because it is known (it will report the sio attach).
3) devd ignores all unknown devices at the current time.

I'm working on most of these issues, but not the 'rescan' issue.

Warner