Date:      Fri, 03 Dec 1999 13:37:32 -0600
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        "Ken Wills" <kenwills@mailbag.com>, "Langa Kentane" <evablunted@earthling.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Win98 Authentication thru samba

But what happends when you add/change user info? Does the encrypted
database update itself, or do you still need to run update it manually or
create a scipt? I haven't looked at the newer version in a while...

At 12:37 PM 12/3/99 -0600, Ken Wills wrote:

>> You need to do one or the other, encrypter passwords or clear passwords,
>> the easist is to change the win98 regisrty to plain text passwords, and
>> reboot. This does open a security risk if your accessing the samba server
>> over unsecure networks such as the internet, you should read the files on
>> encryption from samba for more info...
>
>Actually encrypting passwords is easier these days than making registry
>changes
>everywhere. set 'Encrypted Password = Yes' in smb.conf (using a text editor
>or
>swat), restart samba and then add users (using smbpasswd -a or swat).
>
>> At 07:42 PM 12/3/99 +0200, Langa Kentane wrote:
>> >I can't get my windows 98 clients to authenticate via samba latest on my
>> >freebsd 3.3-R server.  Do I need to setup encrypted passwords or is
>> >there some registry setting I can change on window 98 to allow the
>> >clients to authenticate.
>
>Ken
>
>kenwills@mailbag.com

Jonathan E. Lyons
parrothd@midwest.net			Nucleus Consulting
ICQ # 14226912			www.nucleusconsulting.com
Cell # 773-251-1967			A+, MCSE, CCNA, FreeBSD!