Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2007 19:09:46 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Glenn Becker <burningc@sdf.lonestar.org>
To:        DIST - FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   general question re: performance

All -

One of the reasons I jumped into trying a kernel configuration/compile is
that I have been noticing performance issues with STABLE.

(if you are reading and want to skip the following explanatory verbiage
the questions are: how do I profile applications to figure out where the
performance bottleneck is? and can these be addressed by compiling a
custom kernel?)

=>explanatory verbiage

I'm running 6.2 on an old but not ancient Dell laptop, PIII 1000MHz, which
now has seven operating systems on it. I have noticed recently that the
graphics-heavy planetarium program Stellarium -- which runs great on my
Debian GNU/Linux system -- barely creaks along on FreeBSD and is basically
unusable.

This is NOT FreeBSD bashing ... it's more that I feel as though 1)
something may have changed since I last used the system much and/or 2) I
am doing something stupid. I am actually accustomed to FreeBSD being
lighter and faster than the Linuxes, so it especially surprised me.

In my quest to get my ports up to speed I have noticed some gugundous
compilation times, too ... when I had FreeBSD running on a certifiably
ancient Pentium laptop I got used to letting make buildworld run
overnight ... but at the moment I am looking at the make of gfortran some
hours after I kicked it off.

So ... I would like to know how to profile applications (like Stellarium)
to see where the bottlenecks are and then know more about how to fix them.
Is it generally accepted that a custom kernel with all the fat trimmed
will help?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

Glenn Becker - burningc@sdf.lonestar.org