Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 20:26:34 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Koo Wee Leng" <koo@yamee.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: AMD Athlon

----- Original Message -----
From: "Koo Wee Leng" <koo@yamee.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2000 2:10 AM

> I mean is FreeBSD optimized for Athlon k7 platform?
> I can't seem to find such info on the site.
> Only came across that it runs on Intel and Alpha.
>
> Rgards,

Well, when it says that it runs on Intel it means that it runs on the i386
platform.  There are a number of processors that are non-intel that are
based on the i386 platform.  Many people have had good luck using AMD Athlon
and K6-2 processors with FreeBSD.  They seem to offer good performance.
There was a recent thread in which several people claimed that their K6-2
AMD processors were outperforming Pentium II processors.  There was some
mention of some kernel optimization that was done for them.

Whether the kernel is actually optimized for AMD processors or not I can't
say for sure.  What I can say is that there a are lot of people using them
that seem to be very happy with the performance they are getting.

Josh