Date:      Tue, 04 Oct 2005 23:34:50 -0400
From:      Daemon <daemon@foxchat.net>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which em(4) chips work/don't work? [Was: RE: dummynet, em driver, device polling issues :-((]

Benjamin Rosenblum wrote:
> my non working card is 82547EI aka 1000CT.
>
> Darren Pilgrim wrote:
>
>> From: Chuck Swiger
>>

>>> People who have em NICs, and who do not have problems, probably do not
>>> report regularly that their Intel 10/100/1000 NIC works fine, even
>>> though it does, at least for them.  I've got a dozen or so machines
>>> with that hardware, and I haven't seen any problems with them.
>>>

>> I'd be interested in finding out the specific chips with which people are
>> (not) having success.  As em(4) supports an entire family of products,
>> rather than a single chip, it may be that some chips have quirks or other
>> gotchas the driver needs to address.  It certainly wouldn't be the first
>> occurance of revision-specific bugs.

I think someone might have already asked this question but I don't
recall seeing an answer.  I don't mean to stir up a big debate by asking
this question but rather to get objective professional opinions from the
more experienced FreeBSD users of this list.  Given the issues that
"seem" to be centered around the em(4) cards, I'd really like to know
which 1G brand nic ( or 10/100 for that matter ) card/s has/have a
proven track record to work "best" with FreeBSD?