Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2014 10:03:39 +0400
From:      Michael BlackHeart <amdmiek@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   WiFi configuration

Hello,
I've got a question about configuring WiFi bridged networking in FreeBSD 10
Stable.

The config info:
*Ethernet and WiFi transparent bridged network
*WiFi is protected via WPA2
*802.11n/ht WiFi

FreeBSD Configuration:

wlans_ath0="wlan0"
create_args_wlan0="wlanmode hostap"
cloned_interfaces="bridge0"
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1/8 mtu 9000"
ifconfig_bridge0="inet 192.168.1.1/24 addm re1 addm wlan0 description LAN"
ifconfig_re0="rxcsum txcsum tso -vlanhwtag -vlanmtu -vlanhwcsum description
ToISP up"
ifconfig_re1="description LAN_Ethernet"
ifconfig_wlan0="ht channel 6:ht/20 country RU regdomain etsi -bgscan
bintval 500"

Hostapd from ports:
In rc.conf
hostapd_enable="YES"
hostapd_program="/usr/local/sbin/hostapd"

In /etc/hostapd.conf there's some stuff configured

interface=wlan0
driver=bsd
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=4
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=4
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
ssid=MIEKOFF.LOCAL
country_code=RU
ieee80211d=1
beacon_int=100
dtim_period=2
max_num_sta=10
rts_threshold=2347
fragm_threshold=2346
preamble=1
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=2
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
wmm_enabled=1
wmm_ac_bk_cwmin=4
wmm_ac_bk_cwmax=10
wmm_ac_bk_aifs=7
wmm_ac_bk_txop_limit=0
wmm_ac_bk_acm=0
wmm_ac_be_aifs=3
wmm_ac_be_cwmin=4
wmm_ac_be_cwmax=10
wmm_ac_be_txop_limit=0
wmm_ac_be_acm=0
wmm_ac_vi_aifs=2
wmm_ac_vi_cwmin=3
wmm_ac_vi_cwmax=4
wmm_ac_vi_txop_limit=94
wmm_ac_vi_acm=0
wmm_ac_vo_aifs=2
wmm_ac_vo_cwmin=2
wmm_ac_vo_cwmax=3
wmm_ac_vo_txop_limit=47
wmm_ac_vo_acm=0
ap_max_inactivity=600
disassoc_low_ack=1
max_listen_interval=600
ap_isolate=0
ieee8021x=0
eap_server=0
wpa=2
wpa_psk=da55ab74e575db9fcfa6dca52dbe9c1d29cc8a216627b0360e91c4ff3a50b6f9
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
wpa_group_rekey=600
wpa_gmk_rekey=86400
rsn_preauth=1
disable_pmksa_caching=0
ap_table_max_size=255
ap_table_expiration_time=3600
time_advertisement=0

Question 1: Should I use hostapd from world or ports? Does it matter?
Question 2: It seems than order of lines in rc.conf is important, e.g. if I
place wifi before bridge there wolud be an error.
Question 3: how should I configure WiFi device to be 802.11n/ht capable?
When I place some args in "wlan_create" line they do not work or produce
errors.
e.g. if I place this:
create_args_wlan0="wlanmode hostap ht channel 6:ht/20 country RU regdomain
etsi mtu 2290"
WiFi device would be not condigured due to unknown reason while system
boots up.
Question 4: I'd like to have increased MTU (2290), but when I try to add
some MTU stuff to configuration, the bridge0 starts first, adds re1 with
increased MTU and says that it cannot attach wlan0 with MTU 1500.
Question 5: something happens with ht/40+. I just figure out how to
configure wlan0 with ht/40+ at the boot time. When I add it to wlan_create
nothing happens or error happens. Of couse each try breaks bridge0 and cuts
me off so I have to log in directly - that's pain.
Question 6: what sould I configure in hostapd.conf? Or what can I configure
if I'd like to without disturbing wireless networking.

--
amd_miek
Think different.