Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:21:21 -0400
From:      Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@cfl.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   getting a current system

I've been trying to get an up-to-date FreeBSD system running for the
past 2 weeks, but keep running into problems.  I've tried both 5.2.1 and
4.9 (with 4.9 giving me more problems believe it or not).  I'm pretty
sure I followed the steps in the handbook correctly, but I might be
wrong.  Basically, I'd like to verify that I am doing this correctly.
Right after a fresh install I have been doing:

 - Editing supfiles in /usr/share/examples/cvsup.  Specifically, the
doc-supfile, ports-supfile and (stable-supfile for 4.9 and
standard-supfile for 5.2.1).  Changed the CVS host and the default base
to /usr/local/etc/cvsup
 - Ran 'cvsup -g -L 2 SUPFILE' for the supfiles above that were edited.
 - Created /etc/make.conf with simple flags:
	CPUTYPE=athlon-xp
	CFLAGS=-O -pipe
	MAKE_SHELL=sh
	NOPROFILE=true
 - Ran 'mergemaster -p' to check if any config changes are needed before
running 'make buildworld'
 - cd /usr/src && make -j4 buildworld
 - make buildkernel (for now I have just used the GENERIC until I get
this all working)
 - make installkernel
 - Reboot to single-user mode
 - make installworld
 - mergemaster

Is this all that is needed to update the system?  4.9 gave me the most
problems during and after the above steps.  I am really determined to
get this working, despite all the problems I am having.  A fresh install
of 5.2.1 has just finished, so I am gonna try this again (hopefully with
the help of you guys).

Thanks,
Aaron

--