Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 20:13:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: moving some mail.

	its not the connection that is slowing mail delivery down to only
1.6 messages/sec, my feeling is that is the slowness of communicating
with the other hosts.  freefall may have a T1, but if it trying to push
data down a 56kB line to kryten (my machine) that 56kB line will
determine the xfer rate.

	a major rework or mail may be in order here.  instead of direct
delivery find/adopt/cajole sites to perform regional delivery.  sites
that are both well connected and have bandwidth available.

	each subscription would need to be assigned to a regional mail
hub.  assignments should be made on the basis of connectivity between the
destination and the regional mail hub (all regional mail hubs must be
well connected to freefall, else they aint gonna be regional hubs).   the
assignments may need to be redone every XX days/weeks as net-topology
changes.

	or do we just go for load-balancing and round-robin the mail hub
assignments....not very pleasing, but may work better.

	i can do the perl work in majordomo to make this happen.  who can
volunteer the mail hubs.  what is a good measure of need connectivity?

	who has studied networks enough to comment from experience??

	i guess this is a call for dicussion and comments....lets hear it.

> 15904 bytes received in 2.5e+02 seconds (0.061 Kbytes/s)

	61 bytes/sec.....that is obscene.

> --
> Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
>    FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #2: Sun Oct 22 20:22:48 MET 1995

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com       | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
FreeBSD Postmaster   jmb@FreeBSD.Org            | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346