Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:28:21 +1000
From:      Tim Robbins <tjr@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Anthony Feick <afeick@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of libstdc++ on FreeBSD

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 11:39:29AM -0500, Anthony Feick wrote:

> I noticed that Wide Character/String Support has been updated, and nearly
> completed for FreeBSD 5.0.
> ( http://www.freebsd.org/projects/c99/ )
>
> Has anyone had success getting (or even tried) getting libstdc++ to compile
> with wide character support ( _GLIBCPP_USE_WCHAR_T ) on FreeBSD 5.0???

The <cwchar> header tries to bring functions that don't exist (wprintf,
wcstod, etc.) into the `std' namespace and fails.

I'm pretty sure that if you removed these lines:
  using ::fwprintf;
  using ::fwscanf;
  using ::swprintf;
  using ::swscanf;
  using ::vfwprintf;
  using ::vfwscanf;
  using ::vswprintf;
  using ::vswscanf;
  using ::vwprintf;
  using ::vwscanf;
  using ::wcscoll;
  using ::wcsftime;
  using ::wcstod;
  using ::wcstof;
  using ::wcstol;
  using ::wcstoul;
  using ::wcsxfrm;
  using ::wprintf;
  using ::wscanf;

.. it would work. There are basically 3 groups of functions that
aren't implemented:
- formatted input/output (wprintf, wscanf, ..., wcsftime)
- locale sensitive ordering (wcscoll, wcsxfrm)
- string to number conversion (wcstol, wcstod, ...)

With the exception of wcscoll/wcsxfrm, these functions are all trivial
to implement inelegantly by copying the single-byte versions and
replacing `char' with `wchar_t'. I was hoping to avoid duplicating ~2000
lines of code in this way, so I've held off implementing them.

Tim