Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 02:41:43 -0700
From:      Steve Carter <scarter@pobox.com>
To:        Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
Cc:        FBSDQ <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Compiling Blackbox

Patrick Seal wrote:

> I can't seem to get blackbox-0.40.9 to compile.  During 'make' this
> comes up:
>
> making all in ./src...
> "Makefile", line 678: Unassociated shell command "PROGRAM = blackbox"
> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
>
> And the line in the makefile says exactly that: PROGRAM = blackbox

I don't think you are using the GNU make....I had the same problem on
BSDI, at work, until I started using GNU make.

If you run the make commands manually you will see that the non-GNU make
doesn't like the -C switch.  Check out your Makefile.

Having said all that, it's kind of moot now as Bradley has released
0.40.11 and it uses configure etc. instead.   >;)

-Steve