Date:      21 Aug 2002 21:06:53 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Cc:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a Mac

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 01:20, Kevin Stevens wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 21, 2002, at 05:23 , John Bleichert wrote:
>
> > On 21 Aug 2002, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> >> Right, which goes back to Apple can't control the hardware anymore, and
> >> they are forced to compete pricewise with Dastardly Dan's House of
> >> Clones.  Think IBM, circa 1983.
> >>
> >> Josh
> >>

> > Right - I agree with you, Apple will and should stay on PPC and not x86
> > hardware, for better or worse. I just agreed they'd have a good system
> > on
> > x86 too.
>
> Nonsense.  There's a lot more to system architecture than the flavor of
> CPU, and no reason at all to use a typical PC design just because you
> choose to use an x86 CPU.   If it was that straightforward people would
> be cloning Macs now; it's no harder to buy G4s in quantity than it is
> Xeons.
>
> KeS

In my experience THAT is nonsense.  Go open up a SunBlade 100 or recent
PPC.  Hell, SGI has given in the point of just using intel cpus.  The
reason people aren't cloning Macs is legal, not technological.  Apple
didn't release the Power PC into the public domain ala IBM.

I guess I still see this a a moot point.  We most likely will not see
MacOS on any sort of hardware we can homebrew ala today's typical PC.

Josh