Date:      20 Oct 1997 18:12 EDT
From:      "Andrew Atrens" <atrens@nortel.ca>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pulling email addresses from freebsd lists

www.vix.com/spam seems to have been updated since my last visit in August -
they have several new tools (or at least new to me) that you may find helpful.

Imho the (more or less) free and open nature of the net, means that spammers
will always be a problem. I think our biggest advantage is that we outnumber
them. I think our biggest weakness is that we address the issue as individuals,
ie we don't leverage our numbers.

Perhaps we could come up with some sort of automated mechanism for collecting
and collectively complaining to joe spammer's isp. What I'm getting at it is
that when one of us on the list gets spam, likely we all do. Yet in most
instances we all need to go through the effort of identifying the guilty party,
and sending an appropriate complaint. if this information was captured somewhere,
and accessible by (perhaps) a web interface, then it would save all of the
duplicated investigation work required to nail down the spammer's identity.

Opinions anyone?

Andrew.
(opinions are mine, not Nortel's)