Date:      Fri, 04 Jan 2002 20:20:34 +0000
From:      ttop13@attbi.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd)
Subject:   RE: upgrading perl 5.005 to 5.6.1

In my freshly installed 4.4-Release, the
file /usr/ports/lang/perl5/pkg-descr says "This port is
marked FORBIDDEN as it conflics[sic] badly with the
Perl5 that is in the 'base' system.

If I mirror the directory
ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-
current/ports/lang/perl5 to my /usr/ports/lang/perl5
directory (after removing the original files) and then
try "make", I get (oddly) the error "perl-5.005.tar.gz
is not in /usr/ports/lang/perl5/distinfo."  (even though
this distinfo is from the newly downloaded port and
distinfo doesn't mention that filename).

I'm probably doing some obvious thing wrong, but I can't
seem to figure that out.
<richard.kaestner@ycn.com> writes:

> RK> I am not sure, but isn't there a note NOT to
upgrade perl ?????

> Not any more. :-)

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of
the message