Date:      Sun, 13 Dec 1998 19:47:48 -0500
From:      "Jim Flowers" <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        "Hal Snyder" <hal@enteract.com>
Cc:        <skip-info@skip.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SKIP behind NAT with single-homed skiphost

-----Original Message-----
From: Hal Snyder <hal@enteract.com>
To: Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
Date: Sunday, December 13, 1998 5:15 PM

>I don't have a solution to Jim Flowers' question, just more questions
>and comments.
>
>1. Routing, where the same network is source and destination as in S1
>   and S2 below, makes me uncomfortable. Doesn't that risk an
>   inordinately high collision rate? It certainly at least halves
>   effective bandwidth of the network. Or does this not matter because
>   the WAN link is slow compared to the data rate on network 2?

Nope, works great and you've got the right answer.  Even 10Mbps/2 is large
compared to 1.5 Mbps (T-1).  Does seem to be some packet processing
overhead but I haven't measured it because most of my VPN's are sub-T1.

>2. Why is the *tunnel* slow? If this is an admission that SKIP
>   significantly reduces your available bandwidth (other than by #1 on
>   this particular setup) are there estimates on this? [FWIW, I've
>   seen AltaVista Tunnel VPN software apparently reduce available
>   bandwidth by 75% due to CPU load on a) a 100MHz pentium system
>   running Windows 95 AVT client into a 33Kbps line and b) a 200MHz
>   system running NT Server with AVT server into a T1.]

I refer to the tunnel as slow only relatively, because at the parent end it
is
restricted by a a T-1 and my local connection is a 10Mbps cable modem.

>3. If Jim's idea of extending NAT to cover protocol 57 is sound, then
>   it should give FreeBSD systems the ability to NAT PPTP if we do the
>   same for GRE (protocol 47).

I'm thinking about this.  Before I posted, I hacked natd to recognize SKIP
as IP protocol 57 but quit when a called program didn't appreciate a
protocol that wasn't TCP or UDP.  Probably not a significant job for
someone that knows what they are doing.

>4. I read recently that IPSec is available for FreeBSD. Is there a
>   long term future for SKIP, or will it be superseded sometime soon?

It's only my opinion, but IPSec implemented in a general  and interoperable
\
way over IPv6 or IPv4 for encrypted tunneling is in trouble right now due to
the recent Wassenaur signings.  I elected to use SKIP a year ago as the
only real symmetrical key system in widespread operation anticipating
about a 2 year life.  Now I think more like 5 years.

>5. IIRC, the underlying crypto for FreeBSD SKIP traffic is RC4-40. How
>   secure is this?

I don't use the RC4-40, I use MD5 DES-CBC and DES-EDE-K3 as appropriate.
With 2048 kb keys and 30 sec / 512kB changes, I think it's pretty secure.

>6. The ASCII art was munged. I've guessed at its reconstruction.

Always a problem with W95 clients only capable of variable pitch font
renditions.
Unfortunately monospaced fonts look terrible on W95 too.  I think you got
the concepts correct.  The real point is the single interface at one end and
the
natd translation at the other.

Jim