Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2006 19:44:49 -0500
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        "Doug Sampson" <dougs@dawnsign.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ruby won't upgrade to 1.8.5

On 9/1/06, Doug Sampson <dougs@dawnsign.com> wrote:
> When trying to portupgrade ruby to 1.8.5, I get the following:
>
> <..snip..>
>
> Generating RI...
> /usr/ports/lang/ruby18/work/ruby-1.8.5/lib/yaml.rb:387: [BUG] Segmentation
> fault
> ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [i386-freebsd6]

Without anything else to go on, ruby seems to
strongly dislike certain CFLAGS settings (I think
-fomit-frame-pointer is one, if I recall from
some rebuilding problems I had a year or so
ago).  Check your /etc/make.conf , perhaps just
commenting the CFLAGS & CXXFLAGS & CPUTYPE
settings out.

Once in a while I run into a port that will not
rebuild through portupgrade, yet seems to work
perfectly by:
cd /usr/ports/<port path> && make deinstall reinstall

Then again, if all you use ruby for is portupgrade,
maybe you can try:
portupgrade -pp ruby
?