Date:      Mon, 11 Jul 2011 19:57:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        mdf@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Ali Mashtizadeh <mashtizadeh@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Heavy I/O blocks FreeBSD box for several seconds

mdf@FreeBSD.org wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Ali Mashtizadeh
> <mashtizadeh@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Maybe someone can setup something like reviewboard [1] for
> > developers
> > to use. This may also help folks who want to keep abreast of the
> > current work in a particular subsystem or get involved into the
> > development process more. At my company we use reviews and it seems
> > help the catch some bugs and help new engineers ramp up faster.
> >
> > [1] http://www.reviewboard.org/
>=20
> FreeBSD development is completely open; anyone can sign up for the
> svn-src-* mailing list they are interested in, including
> svn-src-head@. Code reviews are plenty as well; just check the list
> archives for discussion of bugs, poor design choices and unintended
> effects. But most reviews are silent and after-the-fact by looking at
> the list mail. It's a system that seems to be working just fine for
> the FreeBSD project so far. This isn't a job for most anyone; it's a
> volunteer project and so anything that raises the barrier to getting
> work done for the project should be looked at with skepticism.
>=20
Yes, and if you see a problem with any commit to head (svn-src-head@),
you can post to the list about this. Commits to head do not get MFC'd
to stable/N until a minimum of 3 days (and usually a couple of weeks),
specifically so that anyone can comment on it. If there are serious
problems with the commit to head, it can be reverted or fixed via
additional commits before it goes into stable/N.

rick