Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:09:42 +0100
From:      Florian Nigsch <flo@nigsch.com>
To:        Alex <akruijff@dds.nl>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS? nat?

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 07:51:38PM +0100, Alex wrote:
> FN> On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 11:48:27AM -0600, Lane Holcombe wrote:
> >> I have successfully used nat to transfer incoming requests to the
> >> Windows box based upon port number, (e.g. www.mydomain.com:8080),
> >> but I can't seem to figure out how to do it based upon hostname (e.g.
> >> windows.mydomain.com).

> FN> ---end quoted text---
> FN> As far as I know you can only redirect adresses and ports with natd
> FN> based on the IP adress.  What I am trying to say is that natd will
> FN> not know for which hostname the packet is destined which it should
> FN> redirect.  It only knows of the IP number it runs on.  So if you
> FN> have multiple hostnames on the same IP I personally think it's not
> FN> possible with natd to do redirecting based on hostname.  Unlike
> FN> with apache where you can have multiple virtual hosts distinguished
> FN> by their URL.
>
> FN> Someone correct me if I am wrong...
>
> Its able to understand this (out of the man natd):
>
> redirect_port tcp www1:http,www2:http,www3:http www:http

---end quoted text---

Thanks for correcting me, Alex!

Seems to me that I am not really up to date with natd. I am using it for
over 3 years now for my home LAN and I remember also wanting to do something
the original mail was aksing for. Back then, I finished with the conclusion
that it wasn't possible... honestly, I think it's great that this works, be
it it ever worked or not! ;-)

bye,

flo

--