Date:      Sat, 26 Dec 1998 19:45:55 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Timothy J Luoma <public+FreeBSD@fdt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installed on sd2a, changing boot device in BIOS

Timothy J Luoma wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> Well I've just finished a fresh install (my first) off the 2.2.7 CDs (should
> have been 2.2.8 but Amazon.com sent the old ones).
>
> I installed on sd2a, expecting to change the boot device to sd2a using the
> Adaptec BIOS (2940a U).
>
> It gets to the boot prompt, and then says "can't find kernel" :-(
>
> My guess is that I ought to be able to give it some command there to help it
> find the kernel, but I'm not sure what that would be.

I would expect it to be ``sd(2,a)''. Mind you, if you been changing the
SCSI BIOS to make it the boot drive it may now be sd0 (I'm not sure
about this, but it may be the case if you set it up so the BIOS finds it
as the _only_ boot disk)

> I tried a few variations but none of them seemed to work for me (all said
> the same thing: can't find kernel).

You could try ``sd(2,a)?'' and different variations, e.g. ``2:sd(2,a)?''
etc. The ``?'' makes it list the files in the root directory of the
specified drive/partition. I'd try it with all combinations from
`0:sd(0,a)?'' to ``2:sd(2,a)?'' until it lists a file called ``kernel''.

HTH

> I've got a perfectly working setup using sd0a for Win95, and sd1a for
> OpenStep (aka NeXTstep ver 4) and wanted to keep FBSD separate on its own
> drive.
>
> Is this possible?  I chose "dangerously dedicated" when doing the install,
> to ignore the disk geometry message which I didn't understand, plus I want to
> devote this drive (1gig) entirely to FreeBSD.
>
> Thanks for any pointers
>
> TjL

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd
Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com