Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:55:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        mph@bsdnet.org (Matthew Hunt)
Cc:        leifn@image.dk, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Distribution

In a previous message, Matthew Hunt said:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 1998 at 08:52:10AM +0100, Leif Neland wrote:
>
> > An Image?!? One big file of 600MB or so? That would be rather
> > difficult getting in one piece. Imagine if the line broke at 595MB.
> > Not all clients support resumed ftp's.
>
> Sure.  Not everybody is prone to lines that "break".  As a university
> student (in the US) living on campus, I have an ethernet connection
> to some large links to the world.  I've transferred CD-ROM images
> on a number of occasions, and it's not so bad.  One nice thing about
> images is that you can mount them directly, using the vn driver, and
> if it looks nice, burn it.
>
> Obviously, it doesn't make sense for everyone to grab CD images,
> but for some people it does.

But if it's there, someone will try to download it on a 28.8 or less modem
in ascii mode and then blast us for poor software. Just look at the trouble
people have with a boot floppy and blame us.

I guess I shouldn't say 'us'. But I feel like part of the community, even
if I've only contributed one port.

--
"Are you any relation to your brother Marv?"
-- Leon Wood, New Jersey Nets guard, to Steve Albert, Nets TV commentator