Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 15:08:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        "David L. Hays, Jr." <elfkinz@elfland.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gtk-1.2.1 install problem

Hi,

> FreeBSD 2.2.8-Stable (CVSup'd about a week ago)

Here's the problem... see below.

> The config.log file is rather long, and there are a log of lines that say
> error.  The first mention of GLIB is about 90% into it.
>
> ---cut---
> configure:4670: checking for glib-config
> configure:4705: checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.1
> configure:4804: cc -o conftest -O -Wall -I/usr/local/include/glib12
> -D_THREAD_SA
> FE -pthread -I/usr/local/include  conftest.c -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-E
> -lgmodule12
>  -lgthread12 -lglib12 -lc_r -lintl -L/usr/local/lib 1>&5

See the -Wl,E term there - that's bad for 2.2.8 machines.  What you need
to do is the following:  edit patch-ad and patch-ae.  In patch-ad you'll
see:

          linux*)
            G_MODULE_LDFLAGS='-rdynamic'
            ;;
+         freebsd*)
+           G_MODULE_LDFLAGS='-Wl,-E'
+           ;;

convert this to read

+         freebsd*)
+           G_MODULE_LDFLAGS='-E'
+           ;;

and the same thing should be done for patch-ae.  You'll then need to
reinstall glib (do a make deinstall in that directory, and then make
install again).  Make sure you do a make clean too in between the
deinstall and install as you need to rebuild glib with the above fixes in
it.

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu *
                        brett@daemonnews.org              *