Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:19:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        ken@kdm.org (Kenneth D. Merry)
Cc:        rene@canyon.demon.nl, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSD3.3RC + UMAX astra 1220S + NCR810 => panic

As Kenneth D. Merry wrote ...
> Wilko Bulte wrote...
> > As Kenneth D. Merry wrote ...
> > Even if we assume the scanner yelled for attention and/or the ncr
> > driver is at fault I don't really understand why the cam layer
> > decides to panic the machine. Wouldn't it be sufficient to return
> > EIO, or maybe just whine on the console?
>
> Well, perhaps.  My guess is that the intent was to catch problems with
> incorrectly written device drivers.  It looks like it may have caught a
> problem in the NCR driver somewhere. I can't remember the rationale behind
> having a panic instead of a printf at the moment.
>
> > IIRC I've seen systems report 'no sense' in their log files in situations
> > like this (non-FreeBSD systems that is). So I *guess* there are
> > SCSI devices out there that exhibit this behaviour..
>
> Apparantly so.  I sent Rene a patch to turn the panic into a printf.  The
> idea is that the error will get propagated back up, and we may be able to
> get a better idea of just what is failing.

Just had him on the phone. No luck. The driver does see 'something' out
there, but attaches it as a da device. Blurk. Sounds like completely
bogus plumbing to me. Or something just as drastic as that. On W95
with scsi board that came with the scanner things work OK, including
a sensible inquire string etc.

So, looks like hardware to me. At least for now. The NCR810 is known
good, as is the scanner. Leaves the cable. I'm suspicious about the
HD50 to SubD25 cable (how wonderful these non-standard connectors..)

Time permitting more investigation to follow coming weekend.

Wilko