Date:      Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:50:51 -0800
From:      Dave Webster <dwebman@telus.net>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Subject:   Re: HP 4M plus network printer question

Thankyou for your suggestion.  I wound up with the
following /etc/printcap on my remote FBSD bos:

lp|HP4M|hp|printer:\
        :lp=:sh:rm=10.0.10.1:rp=text:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp:if=/usr/local/libexec/ifhp:

where 10.0.10.1 is the IP of the printer not of the server machine.
Everthing's printing fine now.  But I do have another question.  I'm
using DHCP on the server to assign IP addresses to the hp printer, the
LAN FBSD and hopefully another LAN FBSD for my kids.  How do you put the
IP addresses in /etc/hosts if they are assigned dynamically without
having to edit /etc/hosts evertime the lease assignment changes?

This problem has come up previously when I try to ping between machines
using hostnames rather than the assigned IP addresses without telling
the /etc/hosts files the actual IP addresses and what names they resolve
to.  Is there some way DHCP can be configured to pass on the FQDN to the
LAN machines and in return receive the FQDN from these machines and use
these names in conf files etc. even if the IP addresses change from
session to session?

Or am I going to have to use static IP address assignment?

Dave