Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:03:50 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 36551 for review

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 05:02:30PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:

> > The pc98 folks have expressed a strong desire that CBUS front ends be
> > separate from ISA front ends.  There's a number of technical reasons
> > for this, in addition to the asthetic argument.  Basically, they've
> > shoe-horned cbus into ISA bus, and it is a poor fit.  Let's learn from
> > that lesson.
>
> ACPI isn't a bus like c-bus though.  ACPI enumerates ISA devices.

I think this is too much of a PC PoV. ACPI is designed to bridge
the gap between legacy machines and legacy-free machines, but it
is not a thingy to enumerate ISA devices. Processors, APICs and
the likes are all present in the ACPI namespace and definitely
are not ISA devices. I like to think that ACPI allows enumeration
of devices that are not attached to a bus and in that way serves
as a bus itself.