Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 17:11:19 -0400
From:      "Steffen Vorrix" <steffen@ntr.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Firewall Problem?

Okay, I am having a problem that I don't understand, and I believe that
it is in some way related to our internal FreeBSD firewall.  This firewall
was
put in place by a vendor that we are no longer doing business with, and I
am very much a newbie to FreeBSD, so there may be something obvious here
that I am missing, but let me explain what is happening.

  |-----------------------|
  |       Internet                |
  |-----------------------|

  208.60.70.x    205.198.90.x
  |---------|      |---------|
  | FreeBSD |      | FreeBSD |
  |---------|      |---------|
  192.168.3.x    192.168.0.x

|-----------------|     |-----------------|
| Private Network |     | Private Network |
|-----------------|     |-----------------|

    |--------|      |-------------| |-------------|
    | Client |      | FTP Server1 | | FTP Server2 |
    |--------|      |-------------| |-------------|

192.168.3.x Address     205.198.90.x    205.198.90.x+1  ---> "Public"
Address
       192.168.0.2     192.168.0.6     --->  Private Address

Okay, I am trying to connect to FTP Server 2, and I am having real trouble
from my client piece.  Here is what happens.  I open a connection, and
get prompted for a user name, then a password.  I am authenticated properly,
and brought to the system prompt.  However, if I issue a dir or ls or get or
anything else, the server accepts the command, says opening port for blah
blah,
then just appears to stop responding.  If I am using the Microsoft client
from
the command prompt, I actually have to end DOS box, as the client will not
ctrl-c break.  The interesting thing is that I can connect to Server 1
without
a single problem.  I can get files without issue.  And here is the other
interesting part.  Anyone from other Internet connections can FTP to Server
2 without ANY trouble, so it would appear to be something that MY firewall
is doing where my client is located.  I have waxed every IPFW rule, and am
running with the very basic rule set on my client end:

00010 divert 8668 ip from any to any via fxp0
00015 allow ip from any to any

This is the ONLY thing that is not working, and I am COMPLETELY baffled.
Oh, and I can't FTP to Server 2 from the FreeBSD console either.
HELP PLEASE!  I really need to get this working, but I don't know what
is going on.  I can send tcpdump logs from both FreeBSD firewalls, from both
"public" and "private" addresses if this is helpful.

If this is confusing, please let me know and I can clarify.