Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:36:50 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        daniel B <danielb@pacex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'sockstat' shows named opened 80+ sockets!

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:40:31 PST, daniel B wrote:

> This might sound absurd, but I did 'sockstat' and I saw that named was
> listed some 80 times:

  USER	COMMAND	PID    FD PROTO	 LOCAL ADDRESS	FOREIGN ADDRESS
> root	named	134	4 udp	 *.1735		*.*
> root	named	134	6 tcp
> root	named	134	7 tcp

Either named has a file descriptor leak, or your named is heavily
worked (in which case don't worry) or sockstat is showing you all file
descriptors instead of showing only those which reference sockets.

If the number of open file descriptors reported by sockstat doesn't
continue to increase without limit, then your named is probably just a
busy body.

Ciao,
Sheldon.