Date:      Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:02:48 -0500
From:      daniel <freebsd@danielquinn.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing Windows XP Desktop (Home Edition) remotely

On March 22, 2005 10:54 am, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> I have this big curse that I have to access the office computer from
> home. The office PC runs WinXP Home, not Professional.
> I have turned the Internet upside-down trying to get an app that will
> enable me access the goddamn XP desktop, using something like krdesktop,
> from home. Something that can run on the Windows XP and provide me
> access to it's desktop from a FreeBSD box running KDE.

i'd suggest vnc:
  http://www.realvnc.com/
  http://www.tightvnc.com/

you use realvnc to install the server, then tightvnc to connect (i find it's
faster than the normal vnc client.  then to connect all you need is X running
and:

  $ vncviewer <ipaddress>

security note:
vnc is *not* encrypted and is not generally considered secure.  any ports you
open/forward should be directed to your ip only.  even better, try a knocking
daemon.

--
i hope that we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied
corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of