Date:      Thu, 09 May 2002 12:14:08 -0400
From:      Mark Chmura <markch99@javanet.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   boot problem w/multiple OS's

I have a 20g  hard drive sliced into two partions (or partioned into two
slices). The first slice (ad0s1) is 14.2 g  and has Win98 installed and
the second (ad0s2) is approx. 4.8 g with FreeBSD installed and selected
as bootable.

I created the second slice from an extended partion that I created when
I installed this new 20g seagate hard drive. LBA mode was selected with
39102336, 512 bit sectors.

The first stage of the boot process runs where I choose "F1" for dos
and  "F2"  for FreeBSD. I select "F2" and on the second and third stages
of the boot process it can't locate the bootable kernel. The following
is displayed to the console:

Not ufs
Not ufs
No Boot/Loader

>> FreeBSD/i386 Boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:
Not ufs
No/kernel

>> FreeBSD/i386 Boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:

Then it waits for a command. Is there a command to tell FreeBSD what
slice to boot from? Or is possibly  the BIOS not configured correctly?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks
--
Mark Chmura  <markch99@rcn.com>

Plan - To install FreeBSD or die trying!