Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 1998 01:20:28 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk, smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: connecting NT and FBSD via tcp/ip over ethernet

My hidden microphone recorded  (Dag-Erling Coidan Sm?rgrav)
(smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com) saying:

% ruth moulton <ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk> writes:
% > Solaris and NT talk to each other using Internet protocols (e.g.
% > telnet).
% >
% > Freebsd talks to niether - pings don't work in either direction.
% > However both Solaris and NT see the ARP messages from Freebsd and
% > put freebsds ethernet addresses in their tables.
%
% I hate to ask about such obvious things, but are you certain that the
% netmask is set up properly on all three machines? If the netmask on
% the FreeBSD box was wrong, you'd see precisely the symptoms you're
% describing, since FreeBSD wouldn't know how to route packets.

And NT 4.0 nearly always gets the netmask WRONG in the control panel.
If you enter a class C address, it chooses the class B netmask of
255.255.0.0.  Doh!