Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:07:39 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015250859.9f34ba@mired.org>
To:        "Dan Trainor" <dan@ript.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports updates

Dan Trainor <dan@ript.org> types:
> I'm not familiar enough to know when ports should "usually" be updated,
> I guess it depends on the port maintainer, huh?  Anyway, I was wondering
> when XFree86 4.2.0 would be part of the latest ports collection?  Any
> way of knowing?

Yes, I'll get there in a minute.

> Sorry if this question is a bit lame, I'm sure I'll learn in due time.

Nope, it's not lame at all.

Ports are not necessarily maintained by someone who can commit
upgrades, but by a cast of thousands. Well, maybe not literally, but
there are a lot of such people. It's up to each maintainer as to how
often they update a port. That also depends in part on how often/much
the software in question changes. Finally, there may be reasons that a
port is *not* updated, like the new version doesn't run on the
maintainers hardware because of bugs, so they are waiting until that's
fixed.

The only way to get answers to such question is to ask the
maintainer. If you do "make maintainer" in the port directory, it'll
give you the email address to send the question to.

And, to do the maintainers a good deed, it also gives you a place to
send patches that fix problems with the port. If you PR them, that may
require the maintainer to test them then resubmit the PR with
"maintainer update" attached so that it'll be committed quickly.

	<mike