Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:29:53 +0000
From:      "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@icir.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>, "Li, Qing" <qing.li@bluecoat.com>, ales.cerri@tiscali.it, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: arp rewrite...

Julian Elischer wrote:

> I think that breaking the arp code from the routing code
> need to proceed.

I agree wholeheartedly. The coupling of the ARP code to the forwarding
code in the BSDs has been largely historical. Other implementations have
done this, and it generally simplifies the layer 3 forwarding code.

If done carefully, the performance impact should be minimal. rwlocks
might be the way to go here.

In my opinion this kind of change has been needed for a long time, sadly
I can't offer any resources to help move this along just now.

Best regards
BMS