Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:45:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@wxs.nl>
To:        "James E. Pace" <jepace@pobox.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rejected mail hosts?

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, the wise James E. Pace spoke, and said:

> What causes sendmail on FreeBSD to reject mail hosts?
>
> My daily security run spewed this out today, and I want that mail.
>
> Checking for rejected mail hosts:
>    3 garlic.com
>    1 satellitehealth.com
>    1 pobox.com
>    1 kidneycare.com
>    1 earthlink.net
>    1 aol.com
>

> Thanks,
>
> James
>
> This letter brought to you by: *************************************
> ** "They that can give up       James E. Pace <jepace@pobox.com>  **
> **  essential liberty to        http://www.PaceHouse.com/         **
> **  obtain a little temporary                                     **
> **  safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - B. Franklin     **

This means that the hostnames are unresolvable and sendmail does not
accept mail with unresolvable hostnames. I had the same problem and
found the solution in the directory /etc/mail. When you update the
/etc/mail/access file it should be ok. Look in
/etc/mail/README for details on the configuration of the access
control file and how to update the database.

Marco

--
$100 invested at 7% interest for 100 years will become $100,000, at
which time it will be worth absolutely nothing.