Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 21:46:10 +0100
From:      "Graham Woodruff" <woodruff_g@sls.co.uk>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3.2 wont install - ** SOLVED **

>Are you behind a firewall, and if so are you choosing the passive ftp?

No, what I have done is just downloaded 3.2-RELEASE off the 'net to my Win95
box for time/backup reasons, and am just running a Win95 ftp server (either
War/G6/Netftpd) - this gives me backup/resiliance in case my ISP kicks me
out !.

What I have found is that adding memory has solved the problem viz:

On a Dell Netplex 486/25, I installed perfectly OK with just 8Mb, but this
install used a minimal driver set, the other installs have been to a Dell
486/100 Dimension, but with a CD player (etc) installed - I swapped out the
network card for a PNP NE2000 clone, upped from 8Mb to 12Mb, and while there
was still a slight pause after 1024K, the download picked up and ran OK, I
would guess that with >12Mb I would not have even noticed the pause.

Seems to me that install needs >12Mb for safety, the funny thing is that
reverting to 8Mb still runs OK, ftp gives a slight pause, still, with EDO at
£20/16Mb I can't really complain.

Now off to install the rest of the system.

Graham Woodruff
graham.woodruff@iii-europe.com    grahamr@globalnet.co.uk