Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2008 22:25:32 +0200
From:      David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and User Security

--nextPart1379916.VEKuhq0alM

Hi All,

Today I read an article describing how my government had lost ZAR200 000 00=
0=20
from fraud.  This is just under $25 000 000.  The article credited this los=
s=20
largely due to the use of spyware. =20

My question is how secure is FreeBSD (including KDE, GNOME and XFCE) to=20
attacks, including cracking and spyware.  In addition, is there anyway to=20
prevent a user from executing a program that is not owned by root (i.e. any=
=20
program installed by the user), this would prevent spyware being installed=
=20
(assuming root has been properly locked down) and subsequently run. =20

If anyone, in addition, has answers for Linux and *BSD it would be great to=
=20
know as well. =20

Best Regards

David