Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 2003 01:03:22 +0000
From:      Cameron Murdoch <cam@macaroon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with ADSL modem

Hi,

I am having a problem with the X-Modem product sold by:

www.adslnation.com

This is a USB or ethernet adsl modem that is by default supposed to work
in a half-bridge mode, where the IP address assigned from the DSL
provider is passed directly to the connected computer.  This appears to
be the same system that cable modem providers use, (in the uk at least).

The problem is that BSD doesn't seem to like it.  It gets the right IP
address via DHCP, from the router, (of course this is the external IP
relayed through), but then it can't perform the required arp lookup's.

Here is the dhclient lease:

lease {
   interface "ep0";
   fixed-address a.b.c.d;
   option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
   option routers a.b.c.d;
   option dhcp-lease-time 108;
   option dhcp-option-overload 3;
   option dhcp-message-type 5;
   option domain-name-servers 195.7.224.143,195.7.224.57;
   option dhcp-server-identifier 10.0.0.2;
   option broadcast-address 255.255.255.255;
   *snip*

Note that the interfaces IP is the same as the default route.  Although
the IP is assigned nothing else works and the following errors are
logged constantly:

Oct 25 11:24:18 dozy /kernel: arplookup 10.0.0.2 failed: host is not on
local network
Oct 25 11:24:18 dozy /kernel: arplookup a.b.c.drt failed: host is not on
local network
Oct 25 11:24:18 dozy /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for
a.b.c.drt

10.0.0.2 is the IP of the adsl modem.

I have tried manually adding the right arp entries but with no luck.
This system works with windows, and the cable modems I mentioned earlier
work flawlessly with BSD, tho I can't see what is different.  Anybody
have any ideas on what I can try or is this a lost cause?

Cheers,

Cameron