Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:52:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        richw@webcom.com (Rich Wales)
Cc:        rizzo@aciri.org, julian@elischer.org, patrick@netzuno.com, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Almost fixed (was Re: BRIDGE breaks ARP? (Julian's patch))

>     > > external i/f) are still getting sent to the desktop
>     > > (via the internal i/f),
>
> Luigi replied:
>
>     > this is a bit less expected -- because the reply is unicast to
>     > the MAC of the host requesting the packet, and ether_output()
>     > is called with the correct interface pointer.  What do you have
>     > in net.link.ether.bridge_cfg, and do you also see the ARP reply
>     > on the 'external' side (i suppose so) ?
>
> net.link.ether.bridge_cfg: rl0:1,xl0:1,pcn0:2,ed0:2,
>
> I'm running two clusters.  rl0/xl0 (using public IP addresses) is the
> one that's been involved in all the bugs I've been reporting. pcn0/ed0
> (using private IP addresses) is for our children's computers.

ok, i have a half idea on why this happens, though it would
mean that you are being unlucky and the MAC dst-address of the
arp packet collides with some address and prevents the
bridging code from locating the correct interface to use
for output.

[of course there should not be leaks across different clusters, but this
is a bug which i have already located]

	cheers
	luigi