Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:13:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mdh <mdh_lists@yahoo.com>
To:        Tsu-Fan Cheng <tfcheng@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: from 6.3 to 7.0, will this work?

--- Tsu-Fan Cheng <tfcheng@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>     I am thinking upgrading my hardware to core2 duo
> to enjoy fbsd
> 7.0, my old 6.3 runs on amd64 3400+. If I just buy a
> new m-board+core
> 2 cpu, can my old installation boot up the system,
> and then allow me
> to recompile kernel and stuff? I thought about
> getting a new drive too
> to do a fresh install, but my bay is full and kinda
> on a budget, thank
> you!!

If you are running AMD64, then no it would not run on
an Intel core2 duo based system.  Maybe consider an
Athlon64 X2?  You could also just backup your data,
then do a fresh install of FreeBSD 7 for whatever
architecture you decide to build out with, and restore
your data from the backup.
- mdh

Looking for last minute shopping deals?