Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 1995 13:40:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        karl@mcs.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Twinchannel SCSI Adapter change

> >Good afternoon,
> >
> >I have changed the probe order on the twin channel SCSI 2742 adapter here to
> >probe "b" first.
> >
> >The reason is this:
> >
> >1)	"A" has both internal and external connectors.
> >2)	"B" has only an internal connector.
>
> I have made modifications to config and the "hard wired" scsiconf code
> that will allow you to do this via the kernel config file.  Once I have
> fully tested it, it should go into FreeBSD-current.
>
> --
> Justin T. Gibbs
>   Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM
>   FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations

Uh, I would suggest changing the code in the driver itself to probe in the
opposite sequence.  This is what I did here.

This is a two-line "move the code" change, and since it requires no actual
changes to the operational status of the software, is much safer from a
testing perspective.  It also requires no changes to the "hardwired" side
of things.

You just set "B" as the primary channel in the EISA configuration.

Actually, an *IDEAL* implementation would look at the state of the primary
channel bit in the EISA configuration and decide from that which to probe
first.  It *IS* in there for boot control.

Frankly, I'm surprised that Adaptec didn't designate the internal-only
connector as "A" instead of "B".  It makes more sense.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland
Voice: [+1 312 248-8649]     | 7 Chicagoland POPs, ISDN, 28.8, much more
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net
ISDN - Get it here TODAY!    | Home of Chicago's only FULL AP Clarinet feed!