Date:      Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:14:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6727@bellsouth.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Stanislav Sedov <stas@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: devel/cross-gcc and cross-binutils: how to set TGTARCH and TGTABI

> What is your target?
> Do you just want to cross-build the Linux and NetBSD kernels, or userland
> applications?  For Linux we can probably try to add a port that uses glibc
> instead of newlib.

> Stanislav Sedov

In the case of NetBSD, I would want to build the kernel and base system not including X.

Then I would install pkgsrc and build Xorg from that.

There is a NetBSD Guide online that tells how to do those things, question being whether it would work from FreeBSD.

Getting a productive NetBSD system on my hardware is already a long shot, no USB 3.0 support among other things.

For Linux, I would want to build kernel plus tools to get to a bootable minimal system, then go from there Linux-native.
I would want a package manager such as pacman or Conary for Linux rather than build packages one at a time and have to keep track of dependencies.

Tom