Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:40:46 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        Tony Maher <TMaher@entigen.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bridging with 3C589D-COMBO on 4.2-RELEASE?

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 08:16:02AM -0500, The Babbler wrote:
> So my experience is: kudos to FreeBSD for better memory management, but
> there seems to be some weakness in (of all things) the networking code.=
=20
> (I say "of all things" because FreeBSD advocates are frequently most
> proud of the networking code . . .  indeed it's a reason I switched to
> FreeBSD, but it's given me plenty of trouble.)

The part of the networking code people are usually talking about is the
TCP/IP stack.  From what I've read of your comments that's no the part
you are messing with.  Rather you're messing with driver settings and
bridging.  Bridging has a MUCH smaller audience then TCP/IP so obviously
it's less tested.  Add the fact that you're using it with Linux
emulation and an application that get very intimate with the OS
internals stability problems aren't exactly suprising.

-- Brooks

P.S.  IMNSHO running 4.2-RELEASE instead of 4-STABLE for stability is
a very odd idea.  It's quite likely a bug that effects you there has
been fixed in a later version.  Of course you run the risk of finding
new bugs, but that's always the case.

--=20

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP--