Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:57:21 -0600
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   still fumbling around with poor network speed

ive been chasing this problem around for about a week now.  ive got a =20
7.0 betaX box that started out as a beta 1.5.  no problems with =20
anything.

then, i upgraded it (via cvs) to 2.0, and i instantly noticed a =20
problem with serving the /usr volume via NFS to my laptop.  moving my =20
workstation to 3.0 didnt help either.  the 7.0beta box showed outbound =20
traffic about 200k.  exact same behavior today, accessing it via SMB =20
from an OSX mac.

strange thing is, when i use scp to transfer large files, they go at =20
almost 200mbit.  as far as i know, scp uses TCP only.  but NFS and =20
SMB, do they not use UDP?  and if so, what can i do to try to =20
troubleshoot how poorly UDP packets are working?

ive tried changing the cable, changing the switch port, and its the =20
same thing each time.  i have one other 7.0 server, thats not =20
experiencing this either (but it also has a different ethernet card.

as i type this, im wondering if this could be related to the bge =20
driver?  i know many people have complained about bge in the past, and =20
i never seemed to have noticed anything wrong with mine... but could =20
that have changed for me as time passes and sourcecode evolves?

if anyone can help shed light on this, id really appreciate it.
--=20
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org
freebsd@dfwlp.com