Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 13:31:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Joao Carlos <jcarlos@bahianet.com.br>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Joao Carlos wrote:
> I received this message:
>
> >>CERT* Advisory CA-98.05
> >>Original issue date: April 08, 1998
> >>
> >>Topic: Multiple Vulnerabilities in BIND
> >> 1. Inverse Query Buffer Overrun in BIND 4.9 and BIND 8 Releases

I stand corrected.  ISC is usually more open about exploits and makes
the fixes prominent on their web site.  The new releases aren't
exactly hidden but the old versions are available from the main
bind page which is unusual.

A little more digging shows that the inverse query exploit would
not work on a normal 8.x named since inverse queries are turned
off by default.  The same is probably true for 4.9.6 but since I
don't use it I didn't dig in there. [it is, see the CERT advisory
snippet below]

The fixed versions are 8.1.2 and 4.9.7 and are available at
http://www.isc.org/new-bind.html

> >> Disabling inverse queries
> >> -------------------------
> >>
> >> BIND 8
> >> Disable inverse queries by editing named.conf so that either there
> >> is no "fake-iquery" entry in the "options" block or the entry is
> >> "fake-iquery no;"
> >>
> >> BIND 4.9
> >> Disable inverse queries by editing named.boot, removing any
> >> "fake-iquery" entries on "options" lines. Look at conf/options.h
> >> in the source. If INVQ has been defined, comment it out and then
> >> rebuild and reinstall the server.
> >>
> >> Note: Disabling inverse query support can break ancient versions of
> >> nslookup. If nslookup fails, replace it with a version from any
> >> BIND 4.9 or BIND 8 distribution.
> >>
> >> Fixing the Inverse Query Code

Thanks,
Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com